Thursday, February 19, 2015

Classy Days of Classlessness

I have class here three days a week. Yes, mathematicians and blog readers, that means I have four unclass (but still classy) days -- namely, Wednesday, Friday, and weekend days. When I'm not sitting in class or the library, you may be wondering what exactly it is I do here. I'm not going to tell you about last Wednesday because all I accomplished was maintaining a consistent and fairly convincing human slug impression for the whole of 24 hours. I slept for 12 hours, read in bed, and moved only when motivated by hunger to glug down sustenance and roll back under my duvet. In my defence, I was fighting a cold.

No, dear pursuer of blogs, I am going to tell you about yesterday, which was sufficiently productive to merit an entry. This is what I do when I don't do anything (aka when I don't go to class):

2:00 am - Go to sleep --- I have no idea why I was up this late, but I sure hope I had a good reason.
7:15 am - Alarm clock goes off
7:20 am - Decide not to fix my hair
7:25 am - Decide not to make coffee
7:30 am - Decide not to wear make up
7:40 am - Decide to pick out clothes by thinking about them from the comfort of bed
7:45 am - Realize I need to be walking to the bus in under half an hour. Regret not being able to fix hair. Layer clothes for purposes needed throughout the day. Pack climbing shoes for workout.
8:15 am - Miss the bus. Sprint to beat it to the next stop. Bus driver isn't nearly impressed enough.
8:20 am - Put on makeup in the back of the bus. Try to look inconspicuous, nothing to see here.
9:00 am - Take society pictures with the rock climbing club. "Tight Bright" themed outfit was previously layered for ease of picture attire. Finally realize life goal of being picked for the top of the human pyramid.

9:30 am - Coffee with the rock climbing kids
10:00 am - Bus back to town to try to figure out how to use the National Health Service since the number I was "supposed to call" is a clinic 45 minutes away.
11:00 am - Admit defeat on previous endeavour. Resign myself to a doctor at the university health clinic. Mourn the unavoidable presence of college kid sick germs.
11:30 am - Bus back to campus to help the Christian Union kids get ready for "mission week" lunch.
1:00 pm - Dissertation meeting with the government department
3:00 pm - Decide I need to be more specific in my analysis and focus my dissertation topic. Consider expanding the years included in my data set so that I can use a regression model. Determine that my Starbucks cup is hitting on me in English and French. Inappropriate Starbucks, inappropriate.
3:15 pm - Think about working out. Search for student ID yields no results. Decide not to workout. 
3:30 pm - Explore Wivenhoe Park lakes with two government department friends. Discuss the dilemma that ducks, while cute, are also tasty. They may be the cutest, commonly-accepted meat source. Take jumping pictures because it's sunny and that's reason enough. Teach my friend from India the proper way to jump in jumping pictures.
4:00 pm - Bus back home and fall asleep half-on, half-off my bed still wearing my coat, scarf, and boots.
5:30 pm - Start laundry and walk to grocery store with three day pack.
7:00 pm - Walk back from grocery store. Search for black beans and quinoa was unsuccessful.
8:00 pm - Hang now-clean clothes around room/stair bannister/dining room to dry. Commence mass cooking of lunches to freeze and take to school for the next few weeks.
1:00 am - Finish cleaning kitchen and go to bed.

And that's pretty much what I do. Wednesdays are usually for cooking, laundry, and reading. Well, everyday is for reading. So much reading.

Off to do more reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment